Till startsida

Transfer of credits earned as an exchange student

Even if you are an exchange student, you are still enrolled at the University of Gothenburg.

The courses you take abroad shall count towards your study programme and future degree.
This means that the courses you choose must correspond to your Department’s requirements with respect to course levels and contents, and they are usually the ones who deal with matters related to credit transfers. If your Department is unable to tell you for example which course load abroad corresponds to full-time studies, you can also contact the Office of Degrees.

Learning Agreement: pre-assessment of courses

Before you leave, you must have your planned credit transfers assessed. In order to avoid problems when you return to Gothenburg, it is important that you understand what the assessment does and does not cover. Use a Learning Agreement to document the pre-assessment.

Learning Agreement

Bring home documentation

Bring all the documentation you can back to Gothenburg (syllabuses, litterature lists etc.), as this will make it easier to confirm your Department’s pre-assessment of credit transfers via your Learning Agreement. Also, make sure that the host university sends you a Transcript of Records (or equivalent if not in the EU). Forwarding this document to CSN will make you eligible for continued student finance.

When applying for a degree certificate

Transfer of credits is usually dealt with at a later stage in connection with your application for a degree certificate. Simply enclose your signed Learning Agreement and Transcript of Records (or equivalent) with your application.

Information from the Office of Degrees regarding credit transfers

To the top