Till startsida

Checklist - before, during and after the exchange

There is a lot to remember in connection with an exchange. We have made a checklist that covers some of the most important things:

Before the trip

Select courses

Consult your student counsellor or the person in charge of your study programme to make sure that you choose courses that you can apply towards your future degree. Sign the Learning Agreement.

Apply for student finance

Exchange students are usually eligible for student finance. The studies must have a duration of at least 13 weeks, and must be linked to an exchange agreement. Your home university must confirm that you will be able to apply the credits earned abroad towards your degree. If your exchange studies are shorter than the stipulated 13 weeks, you may still contact CSN to ask if you are eligible for student finance. The amount of student finance for studies abroad varies depending on the country since the costs of living often differ significantly.

Extra student finance can be granted for travelling expenses, insurances and language courses. We recommend that you apply for student finance for your semester abroad and for the following semester in Sweden at the same time. The reason for this is that it may take a while before you receive your transcripts from the host university, and this may affect the assessment made by CSN.

Go to STARS to read what other students have to say about the university that you are going to visit.

Do you have the right insurances?

All outbound exchange students are covered by Kammarkollegiet’s Student-UT insurance. See Kammarkollegiet’s websites for the terms and conditions of the insurance. It is up to you to decide whether you need additional insurance coverage.

Will I need a visa?

Go to www.jordenrunt.nu/visum to find out if your host country requires a visa, and if so what type. If you need a visa, be sure to apply for one well in advance of your trip!

Do you need any additional vaccinations?

Find out if you are going to need any vaccinations. See www.vaccination.nu for more information.

Do you have a valid passport (that will not expire while abroad?
Otherwise contact the passport authority in your home country.
Are you going to study in a European country with a ‘small’ language?

Erasmus Intensive Language Courses (EILC) are preparatory courses in the small European languages, such as Flemish, Lithuanian, Greek and Icelandic. More information about the courses, as well as application forms, can be found here.

Applications shall be submitted to Johan Ahlgren at the International Mobility Office. Students admitted to an EILC course are awarded an extra Erasmus grant of 150 euro per week.

While abroad

  • Register for the courses that you, according to your agreement with the University of Gothenburg, should take while abroad.
  • Report any changes in your selection of courses to appropriate officials at your faculty and at the host university, and make sure that the changes made will not affect the planned transfer of credits.
  • Report any changes to your contact information while abroad to your Faculty.
  • When it is time to return to Sweden, try to bring your Transcript of Records (or equivalent) with you, as it will speed up the transfer of credits.
  • Always be a good ambassador for your Faculty and the University of Gothenburg.

After returning to Gothenburg

  • Write an evaluation.
  • Submit an application for transfer of credits along with your Transcript of Records (or equivalent).
  • Would you like to mentor an incoming exchange student? If so, let us know.
To the top