Till startsida

Some advice before you leave

Visa/residence permit

In the EU
If you are going to study in another EU country for less than three months, you will not need a visa or residence permit. However, you will need a valid passport.

If you are going to be gone for longer than three months, you are eligible to get a residence permit. To get a residence permit, you must be enrolled at an approved educational institution, have enough money to cover your estimated costs of living (based on established norms) and good insurance coverage. You apply for a residence permit after arriving in the host country.

Outside the EU
In order to study in a non-EU country, you are going to need a residence permit (student visa). Please contact the host country’s embassy/consulate for more information. Contact information is available on the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
It can take a long time to get a residence permit, and you cannot apply for one until you have received proof of admission from the host university.


If you have applied and been accepted for an Erasmus, Nordplus, Linnaeus-Palme or MFS exchange, you will receive a scholarship, but no scholarships are automatically awarded for exchange studies related to the bilateral agreements. Read about available scholarships here.

Tuition fees

Exchange students do not need to pay any tuition fees at the host university, yet some universities might charge an administrative fee.

To the top